Monday 17 October 2011

Feeling Restless in London & The Rules of Pedestrian Rage

While walking to the tube station in Hounslow I did not enjoy the countless stares of confusion and disdain. I suppose people were not prepared for my comic art themed tights or they were just weird. These strange stares continued when I got on the tube. I didn't understand, I wasn't wearing anything crazy or acting crazy. Worst part was when a middle aged couple sat opposite me kept staring at my tights. They may not have seen them before but there's no excuse for obviously looking at my legs/tights.

When I got to Piccadilly my pedestrian anger kicked it. I am not too fond of over crowded places especially on a Saturday night in central London. I really hate it when you are walking as fast as you can yet its not quite fast enough for the person behind you so they take over. Then as soon as they're in front they slow down so they walking next to you and so you slow down to get rid of them which makes you late for whatever you were hurrying for. The universal rule is you either take over the person in front and walk much faster or you just frak off! You can tell that these people on Saturday did not know this universal rule. In the end I weaved in and out of groups talking in my normal voice "get out of the way fool!'

Finally got to my destination, Ed's Diner where I had an amazing burger and a milkshake with some awesome friends. We were all going to see Gus Van Sant's new film Restless at the BFI London Film Festival.



The story was tragically beautiful. Centered around Enoch, a funeral crashing dropout with a ghost for a friend and tragic past. At a funeral he meets Annabelle, a Darwin enthusiast who has cancer. From there the two fall in love but as with all stories there is far more to it than that. I really loved the characters, I can't remember the last time I had seen a film with such in depth characters. What I mean by this is that their personalities are given depth and were unusual. When was the last time you saw a film where the main character was a teenage naturalist? I really enjoyed this film and story even though it was depressing but not in the way Melancholia was. I strongly recommend this film when it is released.

After a few delicious cocktails I ventured back on the tube and thankfully, less stares this time.